Thursday, November 10, 2011

Storing Canned Pumpkin

During the months of October and November I'm always inclined to bake with pumpkin, however, I started encountering an annoying problem. The recipes I used never called for a full can of pumpkin! I checked out the label on the can of Libby's pumpkin and it said that pumpkin can be stored in the refrigerator for one week but that's a lot of pressure! The can also says that it can be stored in the freezer for three weeks.


Last week, I made some pumpkin pocket pies that called for 3/4 cup of pumpkin. I decided that I was going to freeze the rest of the can but I wanted to have it frozen in 1/4 cup portions. I lined a cookie sheet with parchment paper and scooped 1/4 cup servings onto the tray. I flash frozen the scoops for about 45 mins and than I moved them to a large freezer bag. 


Ta-da!! Problem solved, one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind!





No comments: