Monday, January 23, 2012

DIY Fabric Flower Clips



I love being crafty!! So, when I was planning my wedding a couple years ago, I added lots of personal hand-made touches. My favorite wedding craft project was making flower clips for my hair and shoes. Since then, I have made a few of these flowers for some of my friends’ weddings. These steps are a loose guideline so play around with your fabric and see what works best for you. 

Tools Needed:
Needle & thread
Silk Flower taken apart
A good pair of scissors
Straight pens
¼ yard of silk or chiffon
½ yard of tulle
Beads, pearls and rhinestone embellishments




Step 1
Fold a square piece fabric in half a couple times until you have four layers. Use one of the petals from a silk flower as a guide and pin it to the fabric in two or three places. Cut the fabric around the guide. Repeat 3-4 times with the fabric and with the tulle. 


Step 2
Stack fabric and tulle petals on top of each other randomly alternating the type of fabric and direction. 




Step 3
Sew a couple stitches through the center of the flower to keep it together. Then randomly pinch sections of the petals and stitch to secure. This step with add volume to the flower. 


Step 4
Use a hot glue gun to secure embellishments to the center of the flower.






Step 5
Attach each flower to a barrette, hair clip, safety pin or headband. The flowers in these photo were to embellish to flip flops so I used a barrette that would be large enough to clip around the straps of the shoes. 



Enjoy!

No comments: