Friday, March 4, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick’s Day is March 17!! Leprechauns, shamrocks and pots of gold are usually what come to mind when I think about this holiday. But, like with many western holidays, St. Patrick’s Day is a religious holiday.

St. Patrick was held as a prisoner in Ireland from the age of 16 to 22. He was able to escape his captors and returned to Britain where he studied to be a priest. Later in his life he returned to Ireland as a missionary. St. Patrick often used a shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity to the Irish.

To celebrate, I have cooked up a weeks’ worth of recipes that remind me of St. Patrick’s Day. I’m starting the week off with “Easy Slow-Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage” then using the leftover corned beef to make “Reuben Sandwiches” and “Corned Beef Hash”. I’ll end the week with the recipe for “Shamrock Cookies”, a treat that you can make with the kiddos.


Enjoy!!

No comments: