Friday, February 25, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings

I have been using this recipe for years and I'm proud to say that this is my husband's favorite meal!

This recipe makes enough for four. Or in our house it makes supper for two and leftovers for two! I like to have all my veggies and chicken chopped before I start heating the pan. I find that it takes the stress out of the meal. 

Tools needed:
  • cutting board
  • knife
  • large pot
  • measuring cups & spoons
  • mixing bowl

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbls olive oil
  • 2 tbls butter
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
  • 1 russet potato, diced
  • 2 medium carrots, sliced
  • 1 rib of celery, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp poultry seasoning
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbls flour
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1-1/2 cups Bisquick
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tbls parsley, chopped
Heat oil and butter in a large pot over a medium-high heat. Add vegetables and bay leaf. Saute until almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add poultry seasoning, flour, salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 2 more minutes. 

Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. In the meantime, mix Bisquick, milk and parsley in a mixing bowl and set aside. 

Once boiling add chicken and return to a boil. Drop in 1/4 cup of biscuit mix at a time spacing evenly so they are not touching. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover for 4 minutes. Flip each dumpling and continue to cook covered for another 4 minutes. 

The soup comes out of the pot pipping hot, so I would plan to dish it out then wait about 5-10 minutes before eating. 

I hope this becomes one of your family's favorites meals too! Enjoy!
Dumplings when they are first dropped into the pot

Dumplings after they have been flipped and steamed a total of 8 minutes



2 comments:

Andrea said...

this looks yummy, I have been wanting to try making Chicken and dumplings but didn't have "tried and true" recipe. Thanks for sharing!
oh, when do you add the flour?
thank!

Theresa Carlile said...

Thanks Andrea. I just added it to the step when you add the poultry seasoning and salt & pepper. I hope you like it!!